Why might you be interested in this opportunity?
Ready to build? So are we. Come join VMware’s Knative OSS team. We’re focused on providing Kubernetes abstractions that speak to application developers. We build the foundational developer component of Modern Applications Business Unit (MAPBU)’s Tanzu portfolio to help customers build, run, and manage their most important applications.
Knative simplifies running serverless containers by taking care of “boring but difficult” details such as networking, autoscaling (even to zero) and revision tracking, allowing developers to focus on business needs. Additionally, Knative provides universal subscription, delivery and management of events,
enabling developers to declaratively manage complex event-driven workloads.
We care deeply about
- building the right thing: our team has a deep expertise in building components on Kubernetes and includes founding members of the Knative project
- open source software: our team holds several leadership positions in the Knative community
While focused on the upstream OSS community, we also collaborate with VMware product and infrastructure teams to bring the benefits of Knative to VMware and VMware’s customers.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about helping application developers be more productive and open source software development. The Staff Engineer role provides an opportunity to drive tremendous impact for the OSS community as well as VMware’s customers. It is a hands-on technical role focused on design, execution and delivery.
The Knative community organizes itself in small groups known as Working Groups (WG), each focusing on a domain. In this role, your primary focus will be contributing to the Networking WG, which provides a common HTTP routing layer for Knative Serving.
In this role, you will;
- propose and drive enhancements (eg. Integration) to Knative’s networking interface while providing end users the ability to choose their networking solution
- lead development of Knative’s networking integration with Contour and support integration with Istio
- collaborate with WG members by reviewing proposals and defining the roadmap
- contribute code and review pull requests
- setup and manage test infrastructure and release process to deliver quality releases
- provide support and guidance to internal teams leveraging Knative
- collaborate across OSS projects (eg Contour, Istio, Kubernetes) to drive standardization in the community
We believe the following skills/experience are required to be successful:
- strong development experience with Go or proven experience with other OOP languages to show the ability to ramp on on a new language quickly.
- thorough understanding of HTTP (HTTP/1.1, HTTP/2). Understanding the future of HTTP (Websockets, QUIC, etc) is a strong plus.
- experience working with and debugging load balancers, gateways and proxies
- professional experience building on Kubernetes
The following are desired:
- Knative experience- this is not a required skill.
- experience building distributed systems, ideally in container networking domain
- previous collaboration with open source communities
What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The Knative OSS currently has 10 members (engineers, product manager, designer and technical writers) and is still growing. The team is distributed spanning from London, UK to Seattle, Washington and a few places in between. Given our distributed nature, we prefer candidates who are comfortable working fully remote and have strong communication skills as we tend to leverage asynchronous means of collaboration.
Culturally, the team is focused on user value, innovation, execution, growth and kindness. We believe sustainable pace and psychological safety foster creativity and a productive work environment. We strive to focus on what is right for the users and optimize for the overall project rather than a subcomponent.
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-04-07
Muestra tus habilidades a la empresa, rellenar el formulario y deja un toque personal en la carta, ayudará el reclutador en la elección del candidato.
Si buscas integrar un equipo diverso que te permita crecer innovando ¡Estás en el lugar indicado! En Banco Falabella soñamos y nos esforzamos por hacer posible las aspiraciones de las personas, [...]
¡Te invitamos a ser parte de La Evolución del Coworking! Somos una empresa dedicada al arriendo de oficinas tanto físicas como virtuales y estamos ubicados en el mejor sector de Providencia, a pas [...]
En Antofagasta Minerals, principal Grupo Minero privado de Chile, estamos comprometidos con el desarrollo de un ambiente de trabajo inclusivo que promueva la diversidad, como habilitador clave para el [...]
GitLab is looking for an enthusiastic and strategic Sales Development Representative (SDR), to join our growing Revenue Marketing team. As a SDR at GitLab, you get the opportunity to lead the initial [...]