Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in ECLAC Headquarters in Santiago, Chile. The Chief of the Documents and Publications Division reports to the Executive Secretary.
This position will be temporarily vacant for a period of five months.
The Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean is one of the five regional Commissions of the United Nations. It was founded in 1948 with the purpose of contributing to the region's economic and social development. Its mission includes the design, monitoring and evaluation of public policies and the provision of advisory services, expertise and training to Governments, as well as support for regional and international cooperation and coordination activities.
Please visit our website at www.eclac.org for further information.
Within delegated authority, the Chief of the Documents and Publications Division will be responsible for the following duties, in coordination with the Deputy Executive Secretary:
•Directs the Documents and Publications Division and establish develop and adapt publishing guidelines for the Commission as a whole, supervising translation, editorial and publishing services to support the implementation of the decisions of ECLAC legislative organs.
•Ensures the effective servicing of meetings sponsored and organized by ECLAC, establishing editorial procedures to be followed in each meeting and editing official ECLAC’s documents
•Prepares, submits and monitors the Publications Programme of the Commission, managing the timely distribution of the documents and publications produced by ECLAC. Additionally, supervises and coordinates electronic sales.
•As ex-officio member of the Publications Committee of ECLAC, submits policy proposals, drafts contracts and establish institutional agreements with external publishers for co-publication of ECLAC books.
•Assigns all incoming work to six language groups comprising the Copy Preparation and Proofreading Section.
•Sets priorities to meet deadlines and monitors workflow and work in progress.
•Oversees the quality of work processed by the units, spot-checking prepared manuscripts and corrected proofs. Coordinates typographic consistency among the different language versions of specific printing projects.
•Provides guidance to all staff members of the Section.
•Prepares annual work plan for the Section.
•Ensures the implementation of e-Performance in the Section. Ascertains that all staff members have up-to-date work plans and evaluations.
•Coordinates the training programme for the Section with DGACM management and the Training Service.
•Oversees the preparation of the international competitive examinations for United Nations copy preparers/proofreaders/production editors. Serves on the Board of Examiners.
•Coordinates with author departments concerned in preparation of publications.
•Makes recommendations and proposals on the introduction of new technologies and workflow-related solutions, in order to reach the most effective way to process and dispatch electronic files.
•Makes proposals regarding the biennial programme budget for the Section.
•Within the framework of the Publications Board, advises author departments on matters concerning the preparation of United Nations publications.
•Performs other related duties as required.
•Professionalism: Ability to demonstrate a high level of concentration and attention to detail. Ability to be flexible and adaptable and handle a wide range of subjects. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
•Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
•Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
•Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
•Vision: Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks; clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals; generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction, inspiring others to pursue that same direction; conveys enthusiasm about future possibilities.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in languages, translation or interpretation is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Must have passed the relevant United Nations competitive language examination.
A minimum of ten years of relevant professional experience, including at least eight years of experience in the United Nations system in a language position is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English and Spanish is required. Knowledge of other official language is desirable.
NOTE: ‘’Fluency’’ equals a rating of ‘’fluent’’ in all four areas (speak, read, write, and understand) and ‘’Knowledge of’’ equals a rating of ‘’confident’’ in two of the four areas.
Applicants will be assessed based on the information provided in their PHPs. Short-listed applicants might be contact by the Hiring Manager for further assessment.
- This position will be temporarily vacant for a period of five months.
- A current staff member who holds a fixed-term, permanent or continuing appointment may apply for temporary positions no more than one level above his or her current grade.
- A current staff member who holds a fixed-term, permanent or continuing appointment may apply for temporary positions no more than one level above his or her current grade. However, a current staff member who holds an appointment at the G-6 or G-7 level may also apply to temporary positions in the Professional category up to and including the P-3 level, subject to meeting all eligibility and other requirements for the position. In its resolution 66/234, the General Assembly further “stressed that the Secretary-General should not recur to the practice of temporarily filling posts in the Professional and higher categories with General Service staff members who have not passed the General Service to Professional category examination other than on an exceptional basis, and requests the Secretary-General to ensure that temporary occupation of such posts by the General Service staff shall not exceed a period of one year, effective 1 January 2013…” Consequently, eligible candidates in the General Service or related categories for temporary job openings in the Professional category that have not passed the competitive examination may be selected only on an exceptional basis endorsed by the Office of Human Resources Management where no other suitable candidate could be identified.
- A staff member holding a temporary appointment shall be regarded as an external candidate when applying for other positions, and may apply for other temporary positions at any level, subject to section 5.7 below and staff rule 4.16 (b) (ii). Therefore, a staff member holding a temporary appointment in the General Service or related categories may only apply to positions within those categories.
- A staff member holding a temporary appointment who is recruited in the Professional and above categories, on a temporary appointment, and placed on a position authorized for one year or longer may not apply for or be reappointed to his/her current position within six months of the end of his/her current service. For full information on eligibility requirements, please refer to section 5 of ST/AI/2010/4Rev.1 on Temporary Appointments.
- Upon separation from service, including, but not limited to, expiration or termination of, or resignation from, a fixed-term, continuing or permanent appointment, a former staff member will be ineligible for re-employment on the basis of a temporary appointment for a period of 31 days following the separation. In the case of separation from service on retirement, a former staff memb
Muestra tus habilidades a la empresa, rellenar el formulario y deja un toque personal en la carta, ayudará el reclutador en la elección del candidato.
Asistente Vacantes: 3 Publicado: 20/04/2021 Finaliza: 19/06/2021 En Colmena tenemos un propósito que nos mueve día a día, ser aliados de las personas y sus familias en el cuidado de su salud. [...]
¡En Soprole necesitamos profesionales como tú! Somos apasionados por crear sonrisas con productos ricos y nutritivos para ti Buscamos integrar un KAM Junior para el área de Food Professional [...]
Empresa: IDIEM - Universidad de Chile Actividad económica: Investigaciones y desarrollo experimental en el campo de las ciencias naturales y la ingeniería y la ingeniería DESCRIPCIÓN L [...]
Empresa: Alfredo Da Venezia Actividad económica: Preparación del terreno DESCRIPCIÓN Importante constructora requiere de Conductores con licencia A4 para trabajar en obras viales. Met [...]